– Kevin Rudd has revealed he leaked hundreds of pages of documents relating to his complaints to the federal police over Operation Mesco, the investigation into the leak of his expletive-laden video.
In a bizarre development, Mr Rudd has confirmed he lodged a freedom on information request into his own correspondence with the Federal Police, before leaking documents to the media. The documents relate to his complaints the investigation had concluded without key staff being interviewed.
They also confirm Mr Rudd’s correspondence with AFP Commissioner Tony Negus, where he suggests the AFP interviews current and former members of Julia Gillard’s staff who may have known of the video’s existence including Tony Hodges, who left her office after he was linked to the Australia Day riots, former press secretary Sean Kelly and Bill Shorten’s press secretary Sam Casey.
The Sunday Herald Sun does not suggest they were involved in leaking the video.
The new documents include records of interview with a staffer in Families Minister Jenny Macklin’s office denying involvement in the theft or distribution of the video, details of a search of the Prime Minister’s office and the findings of a search warrant executed on Sydney Morning Herald computers after an anonymous tip-off regarding the leaked footage.
Mr Rudd said his interest was in seeing justice done.
Last week, the Sydney Morning Herald reported that freedom of information documents obtained by Fairfax Media revealed the Attorney-General’s department had never asked the US Department of Justice to require YouTube to reveal details of the user, “HappyvegemiteKR”, who posted the leaked video.
A senior departmental official also writes in an email that after she told Mr Rudd the case would not proceed, the victim indicated considerable frustration…may consider a complaint to the Attorney (Nicola Roxon) or others – Samantha Maiden