CAREER KILLER – Thursday March 28 2013

– Convicted killer Steven James Hunter’s parole had expired just nine days before he murdered beautiful young Sarah Cafferkey.
In the days after her stabbing death last November, Hunter, 47 – who first murdered a co-worker in 1986 – attracted little attention from police as he went about trying to conceal his crime, despite a tip-off about him.
Yesterday, Hunter pleaded guilty to murdering the Melbourne woman – his second frenzied stabbing slaying in a criminal career spanning more than two decades.
Sarah’s mother, Noelle Dickson, shook as she came face to face with the man who killed her only child.
And she is angry the Justice system allowed a convicted killer, on parole over other offences, to be placed in the small Bacchus Marsh community to kill again.
Although Hunter pleaded guilty and is set to spend the rest of his life in prison, the early plea has not dulled the pain.
Ms Cafferkey’s last hours were spent with her disgruntled ex-boyfriend, Chris Stewart, before she bought alcohol to visit Hunter.
The student and budding justice worker had no idea of Hunter’s criminal history. He served a 13-year term for stabbing 18-year-old Moonee Ponds woman Jacqueline Mathews in 1986.
Video shows Ms Cafferkey leaving the Foodworks when she bought alcohol and then driving her silver Astra to Hunter’s unit in Simpson Street, where it is believed he had been placed by Loddon Mallee Housing Services.
Hunter, a suspected ice dealer, argued with Ms Cafferkey before hitting her with a blunt instrument, possibly a dumbbell, and then repeatedly stabbing her. The remorseless killer then tried to hide his crime by;
– Sending text messages from Ms Cafferkey’s mobile phone.
– Moving her body in his car to a Point Cook property and entombing her in a wheelie bin filled with concrete and lime.
– Buying 20 litres of hydrochloride acid.
– Telling local police Ms Cafferkey had been at his house, leaving her with the keys.
Ms Cafferkey was officially reported missing on November 12th by her mother. A text message was sent to Hunter at 9:45pm to contact Bacchus Marsh police station.
In a call from Bacchus Marsh police he divulged Ms Cafferkey had been with him on November 10th at his unit, they consumed alcohol, but he left about 5pm and left her the keys.
Hunter explained he had returned the next day and she was gone.
He gave police his new address in Point Cook, where he had just hid the body.
According to a police summary, police attended Hunter’s Bacchus Marsh unit on November 14th and shone torches in the windows.
On November 15th, Wyndham detectives attended the Point Cook property, but found no one home.
On November 17th, crime scene examiners at the Bacchus Marsh unit found blood stains at the rear of a sofa and a black leather jacket in the lounge room.
“As the forensic examination of Simpson Street, Bacchus Marsh, continued, it became apparent that a serious assault had occurred,” the police summary said. Police returned to Point Cook where the wheelie bin was seized and scanned for her body.
Hunter was picked up hiding in Hawthorn and charged.
During the police interview he admitted his crime – staying he knew Ms Cafferkey, they had argued and he killed her.
Hunter will next appear before the Supreme Court on April 11th – Anthony Dowsley


About Jumpin' Jack Cash
This entry was posted in Homicide and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s