September 20 2013
– An 18-year-old man has been charged with four counts of murder in relation to a house fire which killed a mother and her three children in Leicester, Police said today.
Shehnila Taufiq, 47, her sons Jamal, 15, and Bilal, 17, and 19-year-old daughter Zainab all died in the house blaze in Wood Hill, Leicester, in the early hours of Friday last week.
The husband and father Dr Muhammad Taufiq Al Sattar, was working in Ireland at the time of the blaze.
Bilal Taufiq Sattar who died with his brother Jamal and his mother in the Leicester house fire
Jamal Taufiq Sattar who died together with his brother Bilal and his mother in the Leicester house fire
Arrest: Bilal Taufiq Sattar (left) and his brother Jamal (right) who died with their mother Shehnila in the Leicester house fire. A man has ben charged with their murder
Speaking on his return to Leicester on Sunday last week he said: ‘I deeply miss my beautiful wife and three beautiful children.’
Kemo Anthony Porter, 18, has been charged with four counts of murder. He will appear at
Leicester Magistrates’ Court tomorrow.
Steve Chappell, chief crown prosecutor at CPS East Midlands, said lawyers had decided there was sufficient evidence to charge and that it was in the public interest for a prosecution to take place.
He said: ‘It is important to note that proceedings are now active, and the accused is entitled to a fair trial.
‘Nothing should be said or reported that would prejudice that right.’
Seven men between the ages of 16 and 24 have been arrested in connection with the deaths of a mother and her three children, killed in a house fire in Leicestershire
Steve Chappell, chief crown prosecutor at CPS East Midlands, said lawyers had decided there was sufficient evidence to charge and that it was in the public interest for a prosecution to take place
Police and firefighters were called to the building in the Spinney Hills area of the city at about 12.35am
Police and firefighters were called to the building in the Spinney Hills area of the city at about 12.35am on Friday last week
Assistant Chief Constable Roger Bannister, of Leicestershire Police, said: ‘l would like to thank the people of Leicester for their support during this complex investigation and for coping so patiently with the disruption during this investigation and that of the murder of Antoin Akpom on Kent Street.
‘As a chief officer with Leicestershire Police I will continue to oversee the investigation and the wider impact on people in the city but the day to day investigation will continue to be run by the senior investigating officer, Detective Superintendent Kate Meynell.
‘People will be pleased to hear that, of course, the specialist support we have already provided to both of the victims’ families will continue.
‘We recognise how important it is for that support and it is actually normal practice for us to do that.’
– Daniel Miller