NEW ORLEANS POLICE FAIL TO INVESTIGATE SEXUAL ASSAULT OF THREE-YEAR-OLD GIRL

November 14 2014

– A detective handling child abuse failed to investigate a case involving a three-year-old girl brought to an emergency room due to an alleged sexual assault – closing the case without any charges even though she had a sexually transmitted disease.
The same New Orleans detective closed the book with minimal or no investigation, and again with no charges, on two cases involving children brought to the emergency room with fractured skulls, according to a new report released on Wednesday.
The report is the latest blow to the troubled New Orleans Police Department. It claims five detectives in the Special Victims’ Unit failed to do substantial investigation of more than 1,000 cases of sex crimes and child abuse – with one detective being cited for stating a belief that simple rape should not be considered a crime.
Scroll down for video
A new report claims five detectives at the troubled New Orleans Police Department (pictured) failed to do substantial investigation of more than 1,000 cases of sex crimes and child abuse +1
A new report claims five detectives at the troubled New Orleans Police Department (pictured) failed to do substantial investigation of more than 1,000 cases of sex crimes and child abuse
The report, released on Wednesday, examined the detectives’ work between January 2011 and December 2013.
It found the detectives filed follow-up reports for only 179 out of 1,290 sex crime cases. In particular, the report found that some cases of potentially abused children and rape victims went completely without investigation.
In the case of the sexually assaulted toddler, the detective in charge said the child ‘did not disclose any information that would warrant a criminal investigation and closed the case’, CNN reported from the inspector general’s report.
Police officials said the detectives have been transferred to patrol duty and are under further investigation.
The police also said two supervisors who oversaw the detectives have been transferred.
RELATED ARTICLES
Previous
1
Next

New bombshell documentary set to reveal names of Hollywood’s…

Mama June reveals Pumpkin’s real father is NOT convicted…
SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Share
Inspector General Ed Quatrevaux told CNN that the detectives were not identified but revealed that they were not rookie cops.
Police Superintendent Michael Harrison said he was ‘deeply disturbed’ by the allegations.
LAW AND ORDER? FAILURES AT THE SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT
5 detectives of the New Orleans Special Victims Unit – which deals with sex crimes and child abuse – investigated
Examined detectives’ work between January 2011 and December 2013
1,290 calls of alleged crimes assigned to detectives
450 initial reports were made
179 followed up with supplemental reports (14 per cent)
Harrison, who took over the force when former chief Ronal Serpas retired earlier this year, vowed on Wednesday to make widespread changes in the department to rebuild community trust.
The U.S. Justice Department previously investigated the scandal-plagued police force and in 2012 the city agreed to a host of changes in its policies.
Among the federal probe’s major findings were that the police force was rife with corruption and had numerous instances of excessive use of deadly force, discrimination and problems with its sex crimes unit. A federal monitor is overseeing compliance.
One detective, assigned to handle sex crimes, allegedly told several people that simple rape should not be considered a crime, the report charged. Simple rape happens when a person has sex with someone without their consent.
This same detective handled 11 simple rape cases and five of those cases saw no follow-up reports and one case had no initial report, inspectors found.
Inspector General Ed Quatrevaux (pictured) said the detectives involved were not rookies
Inspector General Ed Quatrevaux (pictured) said the detectives involved were not rookies
The same detective said no DNA evidence existed for one alleged rape case, but that was contradicted by Louisiana State Police, the report said.
Two of the detectives are also accused of writing six reports — on the same day in 2013— to make it appear that they had done follow-up reports years before for the old cases, the report said.
In fact, the report said, those documents were written only after inspectors asked for the missing reports.
‘These revelations suggest an indifference to our citizens that shouldn’t be tolerated,’ said Ed Quatrevaux, the city’s inspector general.
Harrison said the five detectives could face criminal charges and be fired, pending an internal investigation.
In its findings, the report said the detectives classified 65 percent of the cases they received as ‘miscellaneous,’ for which no report at all was written.
Of the remaining 450 cases, the detectives followed up on only 179 cases and 105 of those were handed over to prosecutors, who in turn prosecuted 74 of those cases.
The report called on police to fully investigate the 271 cases that the detectives failed to properly check into.
Officials said much has been done to correct the detectives’ poor work — including follow-up on neglected cases and ensuring that 15 children left in potential danger got the help they needed to ensure their safety.

Advertisements

About Jumpin' Jack Cash

Crimewave2014@gmail.com
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s